Monday, July 18, 2011

The soundtrack of my mind

10 days of meditating. No enlightenment yet, but I did discover what is apparently the soundtrack of my brain:
  • All of Flight of the Conchords
  • The freakin' Reading Rainbow theme song- Lord knows why, but this was stuck in my head about half the time.
  • What's the Bizness- Tune Yards
  • Roses- Outkast- It's always nice to try to find inner peace with a song that features "poo poo" blaring through your head.
  • I'm Not Your Toy- La Roux
  • Christmas Card from a hooker in Minneapolis- Tom Waits- Must've been a bit homesick.
  • Follow the Leader- Sloan- I think I was still a little worried it would end up being a cult
  • A little lost- Nat Baldwin (from Dirty Projectors)- This one has the deadly lyrics "I keep thinking about..." which would pop up constantly while trying to focus.
  • Emotion- Samantha Sang- Tim J, you know the siren song of Samantha.
  • The hokey pokey- I sang this a bunch for the kids and its omnipresence may be the only thing that violates the universal law of impermanence.
But yes. 10 days perched above Pablo Escobar's old hangout in Medellin, giving up everything from coffee to talking, meditating for 12 hours a day. I still feel a bit disoriented (one of the men giving me a stone with a crocheted hat and a note that said "stones say what words quiet" did not help), but overall I'm incredibly grateful to have done it. Now on to figuring out where to meander next.

1 comment:

  1. woah, i hope they have some other techniques than rocks and hats here in thailand! I'm about to jump in in a couple of weeks...but it's looking like i'm about to put in for one month. am i crazy? i know the music won't be anything as voluptuous as yours ... love you!

    ReplyDelete