Tuesday, June 28, 2011


Oh my lord. Well, way too much has happened. And now it seems too overwhelming to sum it all up. So. I´m skipping most of it. Here´s just a couple random moments from Peru:

  • Sitting next to an adorable old man in a baby blue alpaca hat, racing through the starkly gorgeous Andes on a cross country bus. He struggles to open the window, and I help him with a generous smile. Then I watch as he proceeds to casually chuck AN ENTIRE BAG of plastic bottles out the window. I feel the wind on my shocked and open mouth.
  • On a hot, sweaty day, running after what I´m certain is an ice cream truck, only to find that here, it´s the garbage trucks play that song. Oh the disappointment.
  • Striking up a conversation about literature with a guide at an Arequipan museum (who I did not hire) and before I know it, touring the city on his motorbike and ending up chowing down on homemade chile rellenos with his entire, charming family.
  • Watching condors swoop overhead as I trek the deepest canyon in the world.
  • Dancing on the beach for 5 nights in a row to impromptu concerts. Musicians make great friends.

Anyways, now Peru is far away and I spend my days teaching Ecuadorian Andean kindergarteners how to not stick crayons in their mouths. The town is gorgeous and secluded and full of ladies carrying huge loads of sticks while spinning wool. Last week we took the kids to the zoo and I´m still grinning from all the cries of ¨Mira! MIRA!¨(look! Look!) But soon I´ll be off to Columbia. Keep you guys posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment