Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jungle spotting


I have returned, smelly and bitten, from the jungle. Sorry for the lack of updates, the internet there was slower than a drugged-up turtle.

There's so much I planned on writing about, from the Old West-style mining towns, to monkey twins and the vagaries of third world research. But I just got off of an awful 10 hour night bus ride where, at one point, I attempted to discretely puke in my purse. So instead of detailed analysis of the rainforest ecology, y'all are just getting pictures of stuff I saw. Heck, I didn't even take half of these (wildlife photography is HARD, yo). But I saw all of these little creatures at some point, and stealing pictures from these guys is about all I'm up to at this point. So. Pictures.

Monk Sakis, my personal favorite. They're hard to see, but they look like huge fluffy dust mops. A poison dart frog seen on a night walk.
These brilliant blue butterflies were EVERYWHERE. I think this was the only pattern I saw on a butterfly twice. The saddleback tamarin monkeys we spent most of our time tracking. There's also several other species, including the emperor tamarins with the big mustaches.
Tree fungi that pops up everywhere when it rains Giant anteater, who are notoriously hard to spot. We saw one destroying the homes of some leaf-cutter ants.

2 comments:

  1. i love the little mushrooms! They remind me of japanese anime... or some mushrooms I saw here in Nepal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I was just googling sakis to show some friends, and when I got here I thought "Hey that looks an awful lot like Pozo Don Pedro"... This must be CICRA! I just got back from there!

    ReplyDelete